Friday, June 10, 2005

Silent Steeples on a Friday Afternoon

I got paid!! I half way have money again. Too bad it's only for 3 days work. Well, it will give me something to survive on for a week. Which is most definately a plus.

So this job so far has been learn as much upper level Java as fast as you can then teach everyone how to use it. Rose-Hulman has never been this hard. However, I have been enjoying this a lot more. But very much of that drinking from a fire hose analogy. I need to finish my Adavnced Java book. I think that will help out a lot.

Does anyone really read my Xanga by the way, or does everyone just get emails about my updates? Those that follow my blogspot, pay no attention to that comment.

So for those who haven't heard, chances are, I will not be returning to Rose next year. I am looking to possibly transfer to ISU as a Computer Science major. Life is kind of crazy right now. My future has never been so uncertain before in my life. All my life, I have been sure I wanted to be an engineer, but maybe that's just not for me. I have trouble getting excited about circuits and stuff like that, but I have loved all of the programming I have ever done. I have also loved the Sports Information stuff I have done. But for now I have to stop and figure what exactly I want to do with the rest of my life. I know I want to stay here in the Haute for the next couple of years. I have great things going on here and great friends and an awesome girlfriend only an hour away. I know I want to work with computers, but in what context is the current question. My dad has challenged me to decide between Computer Science and Information Technology. I am leaning towards CS, but my dad says I should really look into IT, as it will "better prepare me for real world situations." I dunno. Any advice on this area is always appreciated.

I am working on my application ISU, but I'm not sure what the rules are for being in-state are. I have lived here for a while now, but at least until recently my permanent address is in Illinois. Hopefully I will qualify for in-state tuition as that saves a ton of money.

I think people may know more than they let on to know. I really don't mind that they know this as they have never called me on stuff I wouldn't want them to know. I think they feel this way they can continue to let on as if they don't know. I don't care. I'm a book, read me.

Tonight should be fun. However, tomorrow will be awesome.

Come visit Nick, he's getting desperate and will be alone for the second weekend in a row. I don't know what he'll do when he lives by himself. On the other hand, Mike doesn't visit often enough. We miss him, and feel abandoned. Come back, Mike.

So a lot of people seem interested in dream girl, but have only had 3 applicants. Come on, girls. We are interested to see your responses. Being taken does not matter, as dream girl has no romantic implications as Nick pointed out. We will announce who we have chosen at the Back to School party.

Wow, I get paid overtime. I've never gotten paid overtime before. Apparently if you work more than eight hours in a day, you get time and a half. I could live with this. I also had a lot of taxes taken out. I've never had forty bucks taken out before. I feel kinda ripped off. Hmmmmm.

Well, looks like I didn't win the Jimmy Buffet tickets today. See at work we had a Cheeseburger in Paradise luncheon thing, and they were doing a drawing for a pair of Jimmy Buffet tickets and a runner up prize of a grill. I kinda wanted the grill more than the tickets though, as I'm not a huge Jimmy Buffet fan. Now don't get me wrong, I like Jimmy Buffet and all, but I could really use a grill and it ranks higher than going to a concert. Unless it was like a Linkin Park or Jack Johnson or 311, or something like that. Anywho, didn't win, so it doesn't matter.

Mmmmmmm, Margaritaville. Almost as good as Pina Cola-burg. Hehehe. 10 points to anyone who catches the reference.

Well I think I will leave you with some classic Dispatch. What an awesome band.

I heard a story about a boy, who was swept off the deck
the sweeping tide swept the sea over his neck
but it did not end there, the boy began to swim
and dared to the sea that dared to invade him

did you ever want to know me
did you ever feel like I could
it's a silent steeple that carries us down
it's a silent steeple

but the sea wouldn't so much as reply
so the boy swore to the ships that were fated to die
red sky at night, sailors take delight
red sky in the morning, sailors take warning
sail on, take it back, sail on, take it back, sail on, take it back

we were going with the wind in our hair
and we didn't want to look back 'cause if we did We would not care

and if we all were to die now
well it wouldn't be that bad
'cause the boy in the waves said he'd give us everything, everything he had
to go on and trace that scar, like we did ten years before

5 comments:

Sara Beth said...

If you like pina colodas and getting caught in the rain..... I love that song. Anywho.Just saying HI haven't commented in a while. Why are you staying at Rose? (confused) Oh well, have to go to OH!
Lata!

Anonymous said...

Overtime would be awesome. But they work so hard at the Y to make ure you don't get any at all ever. Bastard nonprofit organizations screwing broke college students out of cash.

N said...

sorry, sara... that's not it...

"play margaritaville!"
"you must mean pina colada-burg..."
"no, play margaritaville"
"we'll just play pina colada-burg..."
"whoo! margaritaville"
"no, pina colada-burg, the song i wrote (some number) years before that son of a son of a bitch..."

MD said...

Why not be a CS at Rose? Either way, you're staying with us so it's all good. Being a CS gets you plenty of real world experience. Being a CS who works in the real world and all, I would know this. As it is, I'll be writing a JAva module on my own in a week or two. So a large part of the eTap business will rest soley on my shoulders. It's cool. And with the theory that I've learned in my classes, I've optimized some of the code they use already. Now don't get me wrong, IT is great, but you can only get paid so much for fixing computers all day long. Programming is a creative outlet. You don't just fix, you create. I could be a bit biased, but considering my job consists of both IT and CS work (in roughly equal measure), I'd have to say the CS side is much more fulfilling.

Sara Beth said...

Does this mean I get negative points?

Because it is a good song....