Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Feeling This on a Tuesday Afternoon

Yeah, yeah, its been a while since I last updated. It's been a crazy week. Been working at Columbia House now for a week. It's been alright. Probably the best job I've had so far, but that really isn't saying much. I have been assigned to a project that converts dates from a Gregorian Calendar or Julian format to GWD and vice versa. Now this GWD format is a format that gives the week and day of the week (both zero based) starting at January 1970. This is about one of the worst ways to format, but it was apparently the best way to do it, when they began coding in 1970. But since it needs to communicate with all this old stuff, we have to be able to convert back and forth. Eh, it hasn't been a hard project. Whatev.

Wednesday we got to move in, a day before they were gonna originally let us. It was rather nice to get in and sleep on my own bed in my own room. The house feels so much more like home, than it ever has before. It is so nice to just be out on my own with a few of my closest friends and only depend on each other for survival. I feel so much more grown up and such right now. I have my own house and a full time job doing something I could see myself doing for more than just summer. It's a nice feeling.

I love being able to listen to music at work. I can totally zone better. Some good rock is perfect for coding.

Friday was great. We had many people over, which was awesome to see. This is something I'm looking forward to with this house. I am a rather social person, so I love it when people come by, if even only to hang out for a little.

Saturday, Katie and I got up early to head to her mother's house to help her move in. Yes, this was the big day I met Katie's family. I was a little nervous at first, but they really warmed up to me, making me feel awesome. Her grandparents even hugged me on their way out the door, stating I was "family now, and in this family we hug." I hope my parents respond similarily to Katie in a couple weeks when I bring her home. I definately felt welcome with them.

Sunday we drove back. We had to leave early because Katie's ex boyfriend needed a ride and had to be back early for work. How do you spell awkward? She didn't tell him I was coming with her either, so I got a nice "what the hell are you doing here?" look from him. I definately got a few "would you please just leave, I want to hang out with Katie" vibes from him. I don't think he likes me. I dunno. It was rather awkward.

After we drop this guy off at his apartment, we go over to a nearby lake and just chill. One of the few times I was able to just sit with her and relax. It was awesome. It was gorgeous outside too. Then the idea to go golfing came up, se we headed back Terrible Haute and got my golf clubs and hit a driving range. It was nice to hit a golf ball again. I hadn't golfed since last summer. I really want to play again. Katie's not bad either, so it would be fun to play her some time. I would just have to try not to get too competitive. It's hard. She's been golfing since she was seven, so she would probably kick my ass any way. Eh, whatever.

So my Cardinals rock. With the best record in the National League and a nice 7-1 win over the defending World Series champions, Red Sox, my Cards are looking better than ever. And Matt Morris even pitched a 1 run complete game win. Matt Morris is looking like the ace he once was. Definately fun to watch.

Well, its points time again, ladies and gentlemen. To start off with, 250 points to my Kate for an awesome month. It was one of the best. You are the greatest. 25 points a piece to TSAV for a successful move-in. 15 points to all who came to our move in party. 20 points to the cable guy for giving us internet. -15 points to Nick's hub for taking my internet away. Little punk. 10 points a piece to Katie's family for making me feel welcome. 50 points to Amy for being an awesome listener. Thanks so much. 65 points to Adam for being a considerate roommate, but -15 for scaring the living shit out of me with your sleep yelling. 35 points to Tom for driving us to IHOP on Friday night. It was awesome. 25 points to Sara for making us some awesome pizza. 20 points to Tom for making work interesting when its so boring. 45 points to those who read my blog regularly. Another 40 for those who comment. Another 2 to 25 points for those who leave a comment that makes me smile. More points for creativity.

I will leave you with some Blink 182 to change things up a little. Good band, haven't listened to them in a while, but fit my mood rather well.

I got no regret right now (I’m feeling this)
The air is so cold and low (I’m feeling this)
Let me go in her room (I’m feeling this)
I love all the things you do (I’m feeling this)
Show me the way to bed (I’m feeling this)
Show me the way you move (I’m feeling this)
Fuck it, it's such a blur (I’m feeling this)
I love all the things you do (I’m feeling this)

Fate fell short this time
Your smile fades in the summer
Place your hand in mine
I’ll leave when I wanna

Where do we go from here
Turn all the lights down now
Smiling from ear to ear (I’m feeling this)
Our breathing has got too loud (I’m feeling this)
Show me the bedroom floor (I’m feeling this)
Show me the bathroom mirror (I’m feeling this)
We’re taking this way too slow (I’m feeling this)
Take me away from here (I’m feeling this)

This place was never the same again
After you came and went
How can you say you meant anything different
To anyone standing alone
On the street with a cigarette
On the first night we met

Look to the past
And remember and smile.
And maybe tonight
I can breathe for awhile.
I'm not in the scene
I think I'm fallin' asleep
But then all that it means is
I'll always be dreaming of you

3 comments:

MD said...

And then Bob didst post and there was much rejoicing. Um, go Cardinals! They have a pretty good record, but you know... that'll happen. Move in was fun. Get some toilet paper and maybe I'll stay next time ;)

N said...

you'd better give me those points back for getting that damned internet connection sharing working.

Anonymous said...

Unix timestamps count number of seconds since Jan 1 1970.