So I have gotten tired of sitting on the side watching people bitch about Christians trying to "convert" people. Now I realize some people aren't "religious" or are really just simply afraid to be labeled with the word. But who would want to be labeled with that word in this day in age? It has such a negative connotation today that people seem to be defending how little they believe in something. But that's not what this rant is about. No, I am more sick and tired of people around me going on and on about how horrible and self-righteous these Christians must be to be trying to convert the world. And how stuck up must they be to think that what they believe is right and there is only one way to heaven. But have you ever thought about it from the stand point of a Christian. No not someone who has gone to church and knows a few things about the Bible, but someone who actually believes in that stuff. Well let me let you in on a few things, as someone who actually whole heartedly believes in it.
To begin with, we don't look down upon people with different beliefs. Much the contrary. See if we looked down upon those with different beliefs, why would we share our beliefs with them? Beliefs are still something you decide for yourself, otherwise they are no longer your beliefs. And when people begin to grow up, I strongly encourage everyone to question what they believe and why they believe and go and search out the truth. Because believing in something because you were told to is simply weak. How can you have faith, when you don't even know why you believe something, when there is no basis for your faith? Once again I get on a tangent. Anyway, we respect your beliefs, but we believe you are wrong if you have differing beliefs. Holy crap, that sounds incredibly condescending, doesn't it. Well, actually it's logical. If we think that we are right in our beliefs and believe without a doubt it is the truth and you believe something contrary, that means we believe that yours is wrong. It's not egotistical, it's proof by contradiction.
Now we believe that there is only one way to heaven, and that's through Jesus. Now for sake of argument, let's assume that's correct. Now if you don't believe that, that would mean you don't enter heaven with us. Now assuming heaven is this most wonderful place we will spend eternity, don't you think I may want to attempt to get you on the list too. It's like trying to get you on the list at a Pike party, but on a greater scale and I think heaven will be a little better than dancing in a room full of foam. So hmmmmmm, how can I get you on the list...oh, I know, I will share with you my views and why I believe what I do, make them into a pretty convincing argument so that you can see what I see. Maybe you will see what I see and make a much different conclusion, or maybe you simply don't care, but considering my views, I'm looking at eternity here. Maybe you're not, but respect my views, especially when arguing about Christians not respecting yours.
Now then there is the argument of forcing beliefs on you. I will never force mine upon you. I may question ours and present mine to you, but that means nothing of my respect for yours.
Okay, I am done with that rant, so you can stop rolling your eyes at me for being too "preachy" and making you a little uncomfortable. If you think I'm wrong, say something. Question my beliefs, I encourage it. And if I don't have an answer, I will search out for myself. Maybe there is something that I didn't see before and I'm wrong, or maybe not. But I give you my word right here to seek out the truth on anything.
On a completely unrelated note, I love Jack Johnson. I definitely think I found a new CD to fall in love with. It very much fits my mood right now.
Been talking with Killer a lot lately and it's been pretty nice. I really enjoy her and Maggie coming over to the house as often as they do. Adds well to our house. ;)
Urinetown was hilarious. It definitely had a Lucky Stiff feel to it. I liked it. And it had no political undertones to it, which it could have had plenty. This way, you don't offend people who have differing political beliefs when that's not the point of the show to begin with. Very smart.
Ever wish you could get your hands on that perception gun in Hitchhiker's Guide? I do. But not so people can finally see the way I see things, but so that and can why people are doing what they are. So I can see what has made them do what they do. Maybe if I can see it from their angle, I can better understand them.
Wallace and Gromit open on Friday, who's in?
Well, this is getting rather long, and I need sleep, so I will leave you with some Jack Johnson.
I hear this old story before
Where the people keep appealing for the metaphors
Don't leave much up to the imagination,
So I, wanna give this imagery back
But I know it just ain't so easy like that
So, I turn the page and read the story again
And again and again
It sure seems the same, with a diff. name
We're breaking and rebuilding
And we're growing
Always guessing
Never knowing
Shocking but we're nothing
We're just moments
We're Clever but we're clueless
We're just human
Amusing but confusing
Were trying but where is this all leading
Never Know
It all happened so much faster
Than you could say disaster
Wanna take a time lapse
And look at it backwards
From the last one
And maybe thats just the answer
That we're after
But after all
We're just a bubble in a boiling pot
Just one breath in a chain of thought
The moments just combusting
Feel certain but we'll never never know
Just seems the same
Give it a diff. name
We're beggin and we're needing
And we're trying and we're breathing
Never knowing
Shocking but we're nothing
We're just moments
We're Clever but we're clueless
We're just human
Amusing but confusing
Helping, we're building
And we're growing
Never Know
Knock knock on the door to door
Tell ya that the metaphor is better than yours
And you can either sink or swim
Things are looking pretty grim
If you dont believe in what this one feeding
Its got no feeling
So I read it again
And again and again
Just seems the same
Too many different names
Our hearts are strong our hands are weak
We'll always be competing never knowing
Never knowing
Shocking but we're nothing
We're just moments
We're Clever but we're clueless
We're just human
Amusing but confusing
But the truth is
All we got is questions
We'll Never Know
Never Know
Never Know
Sunday, October 02, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I whole heartedly agree.
As a Catholic, I have been, from an early age, bombarded by attempts at conversion. Unfortunately, for every really devoted person who is trying to convert you because they really feel that you would benefit from their point of view, there's another who is abrasive and insensitive, trying to convince you that you are wrong and that what you believe in is stupid.
Catholics, unfortunately, are an easy target. A growing number of people view the Catholic church as a lumbering, perverted antiquity whose ideas and traditions are backwards and sexist/homophobic/etc. I find that belief offensive, but if I'm not being actively attacked for it, I am unworried by those with other beliefs. I have no problem with those who make honest, inoffensive attempts to share their beliefs with me. I do, however, have a serious problem with people who act deceitfully, abrasively, and offensively in their quest to convert at any cost.
These people have included a teacher from my school, relatives at one time or another, even a priest at one of my churches. They tell you in Sunday school that you have to defend your faith against those who will try to convert you, and it's true. What they don't mention is that most of that defense is merely for the sake of getting annoying proselytizers to go away.
I've never worried that my faith was wrong, or felt like someone else made a convincing argument that their religion was somehow better. From the good ones, I have learned and understood more about their faith, and I've been glad for it. The bad ones, however, are generally quite a nuisance and can, on occasion, be somewhat frightening.
Post a Comment