Normally, in the first post of the year, I would make some New Years resolutions that I could never actually accomplish, or just make them so vague that who knows if I actually did it or not. I'm gonna work out more. I'm gonna be a better person. How much is more or better? How do I know if I accomplished these goals? Or is that the point? Am I setting my sights too high? If I make them measurable will I fail horribly or am I gonna just be too easy on myself so I can accomplish them? Not this year. Screw New Years resolutions. Let's make new month resolutions. Smaller timespan to work towards. Maybe I set my sights too high and didn't think about how little time I would have. Maybe I was just retarded when I thought these up. Or maybe I was way too easy on myself and need to step it up to make it realistic. Either way, gives me time to evaluate how I am doing and make new resolutions.
Then there is the debate about whether or not to make it private or public. You don't want the world to know where you are lacking. But if you simply keep them to yourself, who will hold you accountable to them? So I decided to read the Bible once a day, since afterall it is what defines my faith, but if I don't who's ever gonna know? No, no, it is always best to have someone to hold you accountable. So where's that perfect middle ground. Well, I have a few basic resolutions that I will make public, and then a few that I will only disclose to my closest friends.
1. Work out at least 3 times a week. I want to get back into the shape I was when I played football, even stronger than that.
2. Read my Bible daily. This is the book that defines my beliefs. No more faith without knowing why. If I don't understand something I will search thouroughly for it. And maybe not just the Bible either. I encourage anyone to question everything I believe, because if I can't back up what I believe, then it needs some work and some true searching on my part for an acceptable answer.
3. Read at least two credible news sources each day. I want to have a better understanding of the issues hitting the world today.
4. Get 6-8 hours of sleep a day. No more, no less. Any less than that and I will not be able to function well. Any more than that, and I am wasting a day away.
5. Not miss a single class each week. This is a tough one, especially when I miss a class and it doesn't hurt me much at all. So I will need TSAV to hold me true to this one.
Texas defeats the high and mighty USC. And the peasants rejoice. The Ohio State played a great game and showed why they are one of the top college football teams. Not discounting the game that Notre Dame played. They played well, just not as good as OSU. All in all, a great year in Bowls for the BCS bowl games. Duke sucks.
I wish I could just tell her how I truly feel. That every moment I spend with her are some of the best of moments of my life. That every gaze at her, I am captured by her beauty all over again. That her voice can brighten my day, no matter how crappy my day may be going. But I am afraid. Afraid of rejection. Again. And I don't want to lose what we have right now if I don't have the chance to pursue more. A chance is all I want, but is that too much?
It is rather too bad that more people didn't want to participate in the reflect on the past year/favorite memory with Bob thing. I was kinda curious about what some people would put. Oh well. I wonder if more people would have done it if Mahoney had started it...
So just before I left the Haute to come home for break, I worked on an awesome Track guide cover. It was due Wednesday by noon, so I started it on Monday. This would give me all of Monday and Tuesday to get this done. Well, I am working on it for abouf eight hours and my Comcrap senior laptop decides to take a crap on me and freeze up and quit on me. Now as brilliant as I am, I had not saved it at all up to this point, so everything I had done was lost. I was so frustrated, I gave up for the night. So Tuesday I get up and start working on it for a few hours, then had to take Lindsey to the airport. I get back and work on it for an hour, then I need to grill these wonderful steaks we had for Steak 'n Beer night. After dinner I work on it a little more, until the idea of bowling comes up. I love bowling and don't get to do it much. So of course I go. When I get back, it's time to work on it straight. This is around 11. By the time I finish it is 7am. And I am so happy to not only be finally done with it, as being a perfectionist has caused it to take forever, but because I think it is one of the best covers I have done, if not the best. Truly something to be proud of and worth the 22 hours spent on it. Then Wednesday morning I get an email back from Kevin telling me that he absolutely loved it and thought it was one of my best covers and that the entire office loved it, but (and this is a big but) Coach hated it. He hated it. He gave me two requirements. One-that he wanted to highlight the SRC, our awesome facilities. To show off what an awesome $21 million complex we have. He wanted it big as possibly the background, but he wanted it to be a main part of the cover. Two-that he only wanted returning runners on the cover. I followed these and followed it well. But he hated it. He hated that R with the elephant was on there. He hated that the SRC was so big on it and it looked like some space station or a television station or something. (Note: This SRC picture is the exact same picture as the one on the cover last year) He hated that some runners on there didn't work as hard as the others. As if I should know this. So now, when we once had an awesome cover with some breathing room, we have no time and nothing to go from. There was nothing he liked about it. We had to scrap it all and go again from scratch. What he wanted was an identical cover to my Women's Basketball cover. Now I hate reusing even the same concept at all, but even more in the same year for different sports. It takes away from the uniqeness and the eye catchiness of the original. It just looks like a copy. I hate doing this. I loathe doing this. But since I no longer have enough time to do another, Kevin throws something together last minute that has no hope of looking near as good as the cover I had created. Needless to say, I am rather pissed.
On a much brighter note, I didn't have to work on the baseball cover near as long and produced a much more appreciated cover. I modeled the baseball cards after a few of my own baseball cards and created a nice template for them. Kevin and I had been talking about this idea as it would be cool if I could pull it off, and I did. When Kevin showed it to Coach Jenkins, he loved it and said he wouldn't change a thing, and his assistant coach said he thought it was the best I've ever done. It is definately one of my favorite ones. I think I am really growing as a graphic designer. I have created covers for eight different sports and had eight different design ideas. I am creating quite the portfolio to show future employers should I decide to head in the direction of Sports Information.The 24 hour play festival in St Louis was a blast. I have definately grown a bit as an actor. I love doing stuff like that. I received one of the best compliments I think I have ever received that a friend of mine, a guy who will never bullshit around with ya, felt that after watching me in this past show, that he would not be afraid of throwing me in any role and expecting me to carry the show and that it has been incredible watching me grow as an actor over the past year. This guy was my writer last time, so this means a lot to hear it from him. A few of the Chicago theatre majors that were there wanted to know if I went to Columbia or DePaul, and wouldn't believe me when I told them I was a CS. It was just one of those shows that I left feeling great and a real sense of accomplishment. It was just so much fun to watch a show come together like that. I love spending so much time with theatre too. Good times.
Well, I think I'm gonna head to bed, but I will leave you with some Supertones that just seemed too appropriate.
I've meant to do this for some time
I've gotta get it right this time
This time my God I will be Yours,
All my heart, my soul, and mind
Been so long since I truly smiled
But You touched my heart today
Reached through my mind of mud and mire
Consumed the idols in Your way
So I am brand new Today, I make my resolution
Been down so long that is seems like up,
I took it now I've had enough
Of the life that I've been livin'
It feels so cold this far away
So Today I will make a change
I will make a change today
Purge my mind of mud and mire
Cast all my gods away
I am brand new today, I make my resolution
Looking back the way I used to be
It was just me and God
Can I be there again?
Today I make my resolution
Since Adam has stopped doing the end of blog breakdown and I loved that, I am stealing it. Although is it stealing since he is longer doing it?
End of Blog Breakdown:
Song Playing: "The Phase That Pays" The Academy Is...
Hero: 24 Hour Play Festivals
Villain: Coach Larry Cole
Quote: "Fear the straw" ~Dave Carr
Mood: accomplished
No comments:
Post a Comment