So I was watching the Family Stone the other night and a topic came up that I thought was interesting. See the movie is about this guy who brings his girlfriend home for Christmas to meet the family and he plans to propose to this girl. Throughout the movie, his girlfriend, played by Sarah Jessica Parker, desperately seeks the approval of his family, but they don't give her a chance through most of the movie. One night at the dinner table, while trying to strike up conversation, she asks his homosexual brother on his thoughts on the Nature vs. Nurture arguement about homosexuality. They joke that their mom had been hoping that they would all be gay and tried to raise them to be gay. SJP laughs at first, but then to make sure the mother was truly joking asks, "You wouldn't actually hope your son was gay, would you?" Now this very much offends the family, and she tries to clarify this statement that no mother would actually wish the child to be gay, as homosexuals tend to have a harder life than heterosexuals and no parent would want their child to go through a hard part in life if they didn't have to. But this comment was taken to be totally homophobic and left the gay brother in tears until his mother reconfirmed that she loved him. So here's my question: apart from the whole whether or not homosexuality is wrong and such because arguing that will just piss people off, would a mother, or even father for that matter, actually want their child to be gay? Please discuss in the comments section, but please keep it civil. You attack someone, I will delete the comment, no matter how good of an arguement you make. I am really curious as to what people think.
My words confuse you
My eyes don’t move a blink
Cause it’s easier sometimes
Not to be sincere
Somehow I make you believe
Believe
When I speak I cross my fingers
Will you know you’ve been deceived?
I find a need to be the demon
A demon cannot be hurt
Honest is easy
Fiction is where genius lies
Cause it’s easier sometimes
Not to be involved
Somehow I make you believe
Believe
Friday, May 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment